For men with gynecomastia, excess male breast tissue, there is a cosmetic surgery solution that can help return the chest area to a more normal proportion. Although gynecomastia can be a source of embarrassment, it is a reality for many men. Caused by genetics, aging, disease, certain drug use or hormonal imbalance, overdeveloped male breasts can be treated with a simple cosmetic surgical procedure.
At our Naples, Florida plastic surgery center, we’ve helped men with varying degrees of excess breast tissue minimize the problem that has contributed to their lack of self-confidence. The procedure involves an excision of skin and fat cells to achieve a more masculine contour.
- During your initial consultation, Fort Myers and Naples area breast reduction surgeon, Dr. Peña will do a thorough evaluation and attempt to rule out any underlying causes of excess breast tissue, such as impaired liver function, hormonal imbalance, or breast cancer. A mammogram may be needed.
- You may be instructed to adjust lifestyle factors prior to surgery that may have contributed to the development of excess breast tissue. Smoking and alcohol use will be prohibited for a certain period before and after the procedure.
- Anesthesia will be administered, and then Dr. Peña will create tiny incisions in discreet areas such as the areola or underarm.
- Dr. Peña will gently remove the excess localized fat and glandular tissue using the Power Assisted Liposuction (PAL) method.
- With Power Assisted Liposuction the tissue is removed, a process that results in less tissue damage, less bruising and a quicker healing period than traditional liposuction.PAL also promotes firm skin for a smoother appearance, and allows Dr. Peña to target areas of fat with enhanced precision. A certain group of patients will require resection of the glandular excess. When resection is needed, drainage tubes are often placed to minimize swelling and speed recovery.
- The chest will be bandaged and medications will be prescribed to encourage the healing process and minimize discomfort. During your initial cosmetic surgery consultation and again after surgery, Dr. Peña and his staff will go over any risks, possible side effects, and what to expect during the healing process.
Fully developed males in good health may be good candidates for male breast reduction. Patients with firm, elastic skin will see the best results with this procedure.
If you are interested in finding out more about gynecomastia surgery, talk to our experienced body contouring team. We can help patients in the Naples, Fort Myers, Bonita Springs, or Estero, Florida area get the masculine chest appearance they desire. Please contact cosmetic surgeon, Dr. Manuel Peña at our Florida office today to set up a male breast reduction consultation.