IPL - Intense Pulsed Light
What is IPL?
IPL, or Intense Pulsed Light, is a non-laser light and energy based treatment sometimes referred to as photo rejuvenation. Drawing upon the principle of selective photothermolysis, IPL uses sudden ‘zaps’ of energy to target and remove unwanted hair and corrects skin issue such as hyperpigmentation, rosacea (a chronic skin condition), age spots, acne, and sun damage.
At the Naples, Florida plastic surgery office of Estero Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Manuel Peña, we offer IPL for laser hair removal and troubled skin with the goal of a smoother, younger looking, hair-free appearance.
How does IPL differ from other laser hair removal methods?
- Unwanted hair can be embarrassing and painful to remove. Various waxing procedures, electrolysis, and messy hair removal creams are expensive, and results are merely temporary.
- Other types of laser hair removal methods don’t offer the sophistication and precision of IPL laser hair removal.
- IPL lasers offer lower cost than other types of laser hair removal.
- IPL can treat larger areas of skin in far less time than standard lasers.
Is IPL right for me?
Only a thorough consultation with board-certified cosmetic surgeon Dr. Peña can confirm if IPL is an effective laser hair removal method for you. After a detailed evaluation of your physical and emotional health, Dr. Peña and his caring staff will discuss the costs, risks and benefits of IPL hair removal, so you can make an informed decision about the best treatment option for you.
Does IPL work for all skin types?
For most complexions, IPL is safe on both the face and body to remove hair and reduce hair regrowth. Because IPL precisely delivers light energy to break up hair pigment, surrounding tissue remains unharmed. Dr. Peña will adjust the strength of the wavelengths for the most effective results, based on your skin and hair tones.
The IPL laser used by Dr. Peña is quite versatile. Along with effective hair removal, IPL is used to treat:
- Acne (with and without Levulinic Photosensitization)
- Scar management
- Acinic keratoses, or sun damage to skin (with Levulinic Photosensitization)
Levulinic Photosensitization involves topical medication used with the IPL laser to destroy targeted cells; for example, the sebaceous glands, which contribute to acne.
How easy and affordable is IPL? Please contact board-certified cosmetic surgeon Dr. Peña, serving Naples, Fort Myers, Bonita Springs, and Estero, Florida, to schedule a consultation laser treatment or laser hair removal consultation.