Choosing your cosmetic surgeon is the most important step you can take after making the decision to have surgery. To make that choice you have to find out about his experience, skills and qualifications.
Begin with the information the cosmetic surgeon’s office offers. Personally visit each of potential surgeon’s offices to pick up their handouts. While you are there note whether you are treated professionally, courteously, and given the help you ask for cheerfully. Then, visit their websites and compare plastic surgeons.
Questions for Choosing or Comparing Cosmetic Surgeons:
- How long have you been performing cosmetic surgery?
- How long have you been performing my procedure?
- How many cosmetic procedures have you performed total?
- How many cosmetic procedures have you performed in the last 12 months?
- How many of my procedures have your performed in the last 12 months?
- What percent of your cosmetic surgery patients report unresolved complications six months after surgery?
- Have you had a successful cosmetic surgery malpractice claim exceeding $30,000? If yes, please describe.
- What education, training, certifications, memberships in professional associations, awards, publications or honors have you achieved?
- Do you have a corrective treatment policy? May I have a copy?
- What do you charge, if anything, for corrective surgery?
- Describe the worst cosmetic surgery outcome resulting from one of your treatments? How was it handled?
- May I contact some patients who have had the same surgery that you recommend for me?
- What does cosmetic surgery cost and what financing is available?
- Are you currently under investigation by the Florida State Department of Health? (This is an excellent source of information that answers this question and more).
- Has your medical license or any certification ever been revoked, suspended, restricted, or placed on probation?
- Tell me about the equipment you would use for my surgery?
- At what facilities do you have privileges?
- Have you ever had hospital or other facility privileges revoked?
- Is your surgical clinic accredited? By what agency?
- Is any special training needed for my surgery (i.e., removing more than 5 liters of fat during liposuction)? If so, do you have this training and where were you trained
If you would like answers to tough questions about cosmetic surgery please contact Manuel Peña, M.D., an experienced and Board certified cosmetic surgeon in Fort Myers, Florida.