Do you desire to have a slimmer shape and reduce excess fat cells? Although there are many cosmetic practices promoting innovative fat reduction procedures, board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Manuel Peña, advises patients that liposuction remains the most reliable and effective body contouring treatment available today. While technology and methods have evolved over the years, the basic liposuction technique remains the same.
As one of the most popular surgical procedures at our cosmetic surgical practice in Naples, Florida, liposuction results continue to satisfy patients and help them achieve their body reshaping goals. The fat removal and body contouring potential of liposuction is especially helpful for patients who have tried diet and exercise and are at a relatively healthy weight before treatment.
The quality of the skin and reasonable expectations will be taken into consideration when deciding on who is a good candidate for this procedure.
Non-surgical removal/destruction of fat can be achieved by trans-application of laser energy that passes through the skin and only affects the fat cells targeted. In 25-minute sessions, fat destruction and reduction can be performed using SculpSure®…a no downtime/ lunchtime procedure offered by Dr. Peña.*
An important distinction about liposuction is the flexibility of the procedure as excess fat cells can be removed on various areas of the body including:
- Upper Thighs
Dr. Manuel Peña usually does not perform liposuction in the facial area because of the risk of irregularities in the results. In the majority of cases requiring a reduction of volume in the face, this is performed surgically by direct excision. However, the neck, especially in younger patients, can be treated with liposuction in many cases. During your consultation, you will have the opportunity to review before and after photos of other patients with similar body characteristics to see what kind of results you can expect.
Peña Plastic Surgery Arm Lift Enhancements
Real Patients, Real Results, Superior Experience
View more real liposuction results
Results may vary.
Are You A Good Candidate For Liposuction?
Liposuction is used to remove deposits of fat in different areas of your body to give you a slimmer, sleeker look. But it is not right for everyone. You may be a good candidate for the procedure if you:
- Are close to your ideal weight (liposuction is not an effective weight-loss tool)
- Are in good general health but have areas that are out of proportion with the rest of your body
- Have stubborn areas of fat that aren’t responding to diet and exercise Have good skin elasticity
- Are over 18+ years old
- Have realistic expectations for your results
For liposuction to be most effective and provide lasting results, you should be at a stable weight. If you are still losing weight or planning to become pregnant, you may want to wait for your liposuction procedure until you settle into the healthy weight that you can maintain. If you have lost a significant amount of weight from diet and exercise or pregnancy, you may benefit from having a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) with your liposuction to tighten your entire abdominal area. Breasts are often areas of concern in these cases as well.
“I had multiple procedures with Dr. Peña and his staff on this date that included the following: full tummy tuck, liposuction, Brazilian butt lift and fat transfer to face. Dr. Peña and his staff are not only professional but very kind and down to earth. I am extremely pleased with my results. Dr. Peña and his staff did not over promise but OVER delivered…Dr. Peña and his staff are the best you are truly in good hands!” - AnonymousRead More Reviews
You should consult with Dr. Peña about which cosmetic surgical procedures are right for you to achieve the look you desire.
WHAT TYPES OF LIPOSUCTION ARE OFFERED?
Since the introduction of liposuction technology, the types and methods have evolved over the years. Some of the liposuction options offered by Dr. Peña include the following:
To begin your tumescent liposuction procedure, Dr. Peña will inject a saline solution into the treatment area. The injection also includes lidocaine to numb the area for more comfort after your procedure and epinephrine to minimize bleeding and post-operative bruising. Tumescent solution works to enlarge your fat cells and make them easier to remove. Once you are sufficiently comfortable or usually asleep with intravenous anesthesia, Dr. Peña will make tiny incisions in inconspicuous locations through which he will insert a small cannula to remove the enlarged fat cells.
After your procedure, you will be wrapped in a compression garment to aid the healing process and keep the swelling to a minimum. You may experience swelling and bruising, but they are only temporary effects of the treatment. Within three months, you will be admiring your final results.*
Power-assisted liposuction is similar to tumescent liposuction, except that the fat is removed by cannulas attached to a machine that will vibrate at several thousand times per minute. This will break up the fat cells with high-frequency vibration motion. Using a vibration cannula, fat is “shaken off the tissue” and suctioned out. At the end of the procedure, the shaking cannula can “knock off” some fat cells which are allowed to remain there. This helps to smooth out the post-operative contour.
Recovery from power-assisted liposuction varies from patient-to-patient, but you should be able to return to work within a week or two. Like tumescent liposuction, you may experience bruising and tenderness in the treatment area, but these will be temporary.* We use a system called, SAFE Power Assisted Liposuction which stands for:
- Separation (of the fat from its attachments)
- Aspiration (removal of the amount of fat required for the desired results)
- Fat Equalization (making sure the superficial layer of skin/fat is even for smooth result and to ensure maximum return of skin elasticity)
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE NON-SURGICAL ALTERNATIVES TO LIPOSUCTION?
- SculpSure® is the first FDA-approved laser treatment for the non-invasive lipolysis of the back, flanks, inner and outer thighs, submental area (chin), and the abdomen. Nonsurgical and noninvasive, SculpSure® targets and destroys stubborn fat cells requiring no downtime to contour your body. It is an affordable alternative. However, it is not a direct substitute for liposuction.
- THERMItight® is a nonsurgical skin tightening option that utilizes temperature-controlled radio frequency to stimulate the body’s production of collagen and elastin for ideally smooth results. With this technology, Dr. Manuel Peña can address skin laxity in nearly any area of the body to produce a smoother, more toned, and much more attractive appearance. However, it is not a direct substitute for liposuction.
Be sure to ask Dr. Peña about these and other techniques during your initial consultation to help determine which one can best help you achieve the results you are looking for.
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM YOUR LIPOSUCTION PROCEDURE?
To help you decide if you are ready to undergo liposuction, our Naples liposuction team makes sure you know exactly what to expect during the process. During your initial consultation, Dr. Peña will go over important medical information and encourage you to ask as many questions as you want. Your safety, comfort and peace of mind are important to every one of our staff members, and we will not schedule the surgery unless we feel you have made a confident decision. Liposuction is an invasive surgical procedure that will require you to follow pre- and post-operative instructions carefully.
Your liposuction procedure includes:
- Undergoing a comprehensive physical examination and health history review. Dr. Peña will ask you about your body goals and your surgery concerns. Once you have all the details that you need and make an informed decision to have liposuction surgery, your surgery day will be scheduled and Dr. Peña will let you know how to prepare.
- After you are anesthetized, Dr. Peña will make tiny incisions in the treatment area, in spots that are most inconspicuous. The areas to be treated are filled with an anesthetic solution.
- The small cannula, or fat removal tube, is inserted into the incision sites. Dr. Peña uses the cannula to remove targeted pockets of fat.
- You will be placed in a compressive garment.
- Post-operative instructions will be reviewed with you and your family members or friends.
- Dr. Peña will give you a timeline summary that explains when you can resume certain activities. Swelling and bruising will occur but are temporary.*
- Sutures may be removed in about one week.*
- Final results will take up to three to five months.*
It is important to remember that procedural steps, recovery, and results vary from patient to patient. The best way to learn what you can expect is through a one-on-one consultation at our comfortable and convenient Naples, Florida office.
To schedule your expert fat removal and body contouring liposuction procedure, request a consultation with Dr. Manuel Peña, board-certified Naples plastic surgeon.
*Individual results may vary. Consult with Dr. Peña to see if you are a candidate.