For men with gynecomastia, excess male breast tissue, there is a cosmetic surgery solution that can help return the chest area to a more normal proportion. Gynecomastia, often called “man boobs” may be a source of embarrassment and cause men to avoid physical activities and t-shirts and other form fitting shirts. Caused by genetics, aging, disease, certain drug use or hormonal imbalance, overdeveloped male breasts can be treated with cosmetic gynecomastia surgery.
Gynecomastia is the medical term for enlarged breast tissue in males. Derived from a combination of Greek and Latin words meaning “woman-like breasts,” gynecomastia is, for many men, an embarrassing condition. Excess fat or glandular tissue in the chest may not respond to dietary changes or increased exercise, making male breast reduction surgery the best option in many cases.
If you are a man who is struggling with gynecomastia, Naples board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Manuel Peña can help flatten your chest contours and improve your chest’s overall appearance.
WHAT CAUSES GYNECOMASTIA?
In some instances, the cause of gynecomastia is unknown and it is assumed to be at least partially inherited (genetic). However, more often than not, enlarged male breasts are related to factors such as:
- Weight gain
- A sedentary lifestyle
- Certain medications
- Hormone use
- Certain medical conditions that may require treatment before corrective surgery
If one or more of these factors has caused your excess breast tissue, lifestyle changes may be necessary in addition to the male breast reduction surgery for optimal results.
ARE YOU A MALE BREAST REDUCTION CANDIDATE?
The best candidates for male breast reduction are men who are close to their ideal body weight, have relatively firm, elastic skin and are willing to adopt lifestyle changes that can help reduce the risks of developing gynecomastia again. In addition, good candidates for this procedure should be:
- Non-smokers or willing to quit well in advance of surgery
- In generally good physical and mental health
- Aware of the potential risks and complications of a surgical male breast reduction
- Willing to follow pre and postoperative instructions that reduce risks
- Able to take time off for a short recovery period
During your consultation Dr. Peña will assess your risk factors, do a thorough medical evaluation and hormonal panel, discuss changes that may be needed, and help you plan the most effective way to reach your body contouring goals. These tests are important to rule out any underlying conditions; such as, as impaired liver function, hormonal imbalance, or breast cancer. A mammogram may also be needed.
HOW IS AGYNECOMASTIA SURGICAL PROCEDURE PERFORMED?
Through targeted male breast reduction surgical techniques, Dr. Peña can reduce excess fat and glandular tissue to restore an attractive and manly appearance to the chest. The procedure involves the following steps:
- Anesthesia will be administered, and then Dr. Peña will create tiny incisions in discreet areas such as the areola or underarm.
- Dr. Peña will gently remove the excess localized fat tissue using the Power Assisted Liposuction (PAL) method.
- With Power Assisted Liposuction the tissue is precisely removed, a process that results in less tissue damage, less bruising, and a quicker healing period than traditional liposuction. PAL promotes firm skin for a smoother appearance and also allows Dr. Peña to target areas of fat with enhanced precision.
- Any type of liposuction including PAL will not remove breast tissue! In some cases, direct breast tissue excision will not be needed.
- A certain group of men will require a resection of the glandular excess. When resection is needed, drainage tubes are often placed to minimize swelling and speed recovery.
- The chest will be bandaged and medications will be prescribed to encourage the healing process and minimize discomfort.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT DURING THE RECOVERY PROCESS FOR BREAST REDUCTION SURGERY?
During your initial cosmetic surgery consultation and again after surgery, Dr. Peña and his staff will go over any risks, possible side effects, and what to expect during the healing process.
After your male breast reduction procedure, you will need to take a few weeks to rest before starting a more advanced exercise routine. Work can typically be resumed within just a few days of surgery, but more strenuous activities like weight lifting will have to wait for up to six weeks.
Dr. Peña will discuss all of these things with you along with steps you can take to improve your body’s healing response to help ensure your recovery and results meet your expectations.
Let us help you get your confidence back and feel better about yourself. Schedule your consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Manuel Peña today. We look forward to welcoming you to Peña Plastic Surgery in Naples, FL where our team is excited to help you look and feel your best.