If you want to improve the appearance of your breasts, you may want to consider both breast augmentation and breast lift procedures. While breast augmentation increases breast size, a breast lift (mastopexy) helps sagging breasts regain a more youthful contour. The breast lift procedure is a good procedure for women who have undergone childbirth and is a common breast surgical procedure of a “mommy makeover” surgery. However, you needn’t have had children to benefit from the removal of loose skin and a repositioning of the nipples to a higher, perkier, and more appealing location. The result is a firmer breast appearance with the appearance of added volume.
At Peña Plastic Surgery in Naples, FL, Dr. Manuel Peña, board-certified plastic surgeon has performed the breast lift procedure on women with all breast sizes. Even small cup sizes can’t hide from the effects of aging and women with large breasts may find that sagging brought about by the aging process or breastfeeding can result in discomfort. If you are self-conscious about sagging breasts that have lost volume, schedule a consultation to learn more about the breast lift procedure.
ARE YOU A CANDIDATE FOR A BREAST LIFT?
A breast lift is a surgical procedure to help restore breasts that are sagging from age, motherhood, or extreme weight loss. Gravity, pregnancy, and weight loss can take its toll on the youthful positioning of your breasts and leave you longing for younger days. A breast lift can restore your breasts’ youthful appearance. You are a good candidate for a breast lift if you have:
- Sagging, drooping breasts
- Nipples that point down
- Nipples that hang below your breast crease
- Stretched skin or enlarged areolas
- Flat or elongated breasts
- Emptiness at the top of the breast
- Asymmetrical breasts
“Perky and natural-looking breasts. Dr. Peña did a breast revision on me. My first breast augmentation resulted in my breasts migrating inward (looked like aliens). The surgery went on without a hitch, and Dr. Peña followed up with a phone call that night to make sure that I was doing ok. He was super cool about answering any questions that I had. Just the other day, my best friend remarked on how natural they look, which is exactly what I was looking for. They are absolutely beautiful.” - Butterfly613 (realself® Review)Read More Reviews
Peña Plastic Surgery Breast Lift Results
Real Patients, Real Results, Superior Experience
View More Breast Lift Results
Results may vary.
During your consultation with Dr. Peña, you will discuss whether you can benefit from a breast lift and what kind of results you can expect from the procedure. He may recommend that you also consider breast augmentation with your breast lift if you are seeking fuller, larger breasts. A breast lift cannot make your breasts larger. In fact, the breast lift may make your breast slightly smaller as your breast tissues are compressed in the lift procedure.
Dr. Peña also uses Vectra 3D imaging to take images of your body. With a 3D camera system and specialized computer software, Dr. Peña can manipulate your images to show you what your likely results from breast lift surgery will be.
BREAST LIFT WITH IMPLANTS
When performed alone, breast lift surgery can be used to improve the firmness and perkiness of the breasts. This procedure allows Dr. Peña to address ptosis (sagging) and produce a more youthful and lifted appearance, but it does not address issues with breast size. In fact, it is common for breasts to be reduced by one or more cup sizes following recovery from breast lift – a factor that may be an issue for women with less natural breast tissue to begin with. Many of the factors that cause volume loss also cause ptosis. This makes breast augmentation a naturally complementary procedure to breast lift surgery. Dr. Peña will assess your frame and listen to your concerns during your initial consultation to help you determine if combining these procedures is right for you.
HOW IS A BREAST LIFT SURGERY PERFORMED?
Each breast lift procedure performed by Dr. Peña is customized to meet the specific needs of the patient. When you come to our office for your initial consultation, Dr. Peña will listen closely to your concerns and desires, carefully assess your frame, and begin to customize your options to help produce optimal results. There are three types of incision options available:
- Anchor Incision – This is one of the oldest and most common incision types for a breast lift. It allows for the most excessive skin removal and greatest lift, but it does leave more scarring than other incisions do. The anchor incision is ideal for women whose breasts are sagging or drooping to a high degree. It is often used for women who are having a breast reduction with their breast lift. The incisions are performed around the areola, a vertical line down to your breast crease, and a horizontal line along your breast crease.
- Lollipop Incision – The lollipop incision is so-called because it makes the shape of a lollipop. Dr. Peña will make the incision around your areola and then make a vertical line down to your breast crease. Women who are only experiencing a moderate amount of breast sagging and who are not having a breast augmentation in addition to their breast lift would be good candidates for this option.
- Donut Incision – The donut mastopexy, also called the peri-areolar incision, is named due to the donut-shaped incision made around your areola. This type of incision is not as common as the other breast lift incision types because it does not allow for as much lift of the breast. However, for women with only a mild amount of breast sagging to correct and particularly if they have large areolas, this can be the best incision type.
Dr. Peña will talk with you about which incision should be used in your procedure. Although some scarring will occur with any incision type, these incisions will not leave excessive scarring. Depending on your incision type, the scars may be concealed at the edge of your areola or in your breast crease.
Typically, your breast lift procedure includes the following steps:
- After intravenous sedation, Dr. Peña will infiltrate breast tissue with an anesthetic solution, then make incisions in the agreed upon location. He then gently removes excess skin from the breast area, including the areolas and breast creases.
- If you are having a breast lift and breast augmentation simultaneously, the implants will be inserted at this time.
- If your own tissue is being used for the “auto implant” this lower tissue is elevated and secured at a point high on your chest to fill the upper part of the breasts
- The nipples and areolas are repositioned to a higher location.
- Sutures are used to close the incisions.
The average breast lift takes two to three hours depending on technique and the amount of tissue that requires manipulation. You must arrange someone to drive you home and stay with you overnight. You should arrange for someone to drive you home after your breast surgery and to take care of you for a few days. Taking at least four days off from work is essential to getting the rest you need during this crucial recovery time.
WHAT IS THE RECOVERY FROM BREAST LIFT SURGERY LIKE?
Recovery is an important part of your breast lift procedure. Taking proper care of yourself during recovery will help you to heal more quickly and feel more comfortable while healing. We will provide you with specific post-operative instructions to follow to ensure your best recovery.
The First Week
Following your breast lift surgery, you will need to wear a surgical bra to support your breasts and help reduce swelling. This will also help to encourage your breasts to heal in the proper shape. A drain may be inserted (rarely) for the first couple of days to remove excess fluids. At your first follow-up appointment with breast surgeon Dr. Peña, the drain may be removed.
This is also the time to begin light exercise. Taking short walks as soon as you feel up to moving around will help stimulate healing within your body. Strenuous activity should be avoided though. Avoid heavy lifting and don’t do anything to put unnecessary stress on your body.
Additional Recovery Time
Going into your second week of recovery, you should begin to feel much better. You can return to work, as long as it is not strenuous, and you can resume most of your normal activities. You should still ease your way into exercising, especially if you’ve had breast augmentation also. After breast augmentation, specific exercises that move implants around are instructed to prevent hardening around the implant. However, the exercise “pectoral flies” should be avoided indefinitely. Exercising with breast implants will feel much different than your pre-surgery routine. Never push yourself to do more than your body is capable of. Remember that although you are feeling much better, you are still in the recovery process.
Any swelling, bruising, or tenderness you’ve been experiencing should start disappearing within two weeks. Your incisions will turn pink and bump out, but as they heal, they will become less and less noticeable. You will receive instructions on how to make the scars fade rapidly. These methods include: silicon gel sheeting, silicone gel cream, massage, Intense Pulse Light treatments (IPL), and Fractional Carbon Dioxide laser treatments.
Schedule your consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Manuel Peña today. We look forward to welcoming you to Peña Plastic Surgery in Naples, FL where our team is excited to help you look and feel your best.